1. Check out the shelter's want list to find out what items they are in needs of. Common things shelter always need include: towels, blankets, toys, treats, cat litter, etc.
2. Volunteer at a shelter, any way you can help out would make the life of a homeless animal a little better.
3. Get your pet microchipped and make sure that you keep your information updated with the microchip company.
4. Make sure your pet wears a collar with their tags on it. They should have their rabies tag, microchip id tag and a proper identification tag on their collar. The ID tag should include your pet's name, your name, address and phone number.
5. Get your animal spayed or neutered. This will help cut down on the number of unwanted pets in your area.
6. "Like" your local shelter on Facebook.
7. If you want to get a new pet, check out the local shelters in your area, to find out which animals are available for adoption.
8. Say "Thank you" to all the people who work and volunteer at your local shelter.
Here are links to a few of the local animal shelters: